Posted .

Before you let the tongue piercer cut a hole through your tongue, we recommend thinking about the four problems associated with tongue piercing. Those problems are:

Chipped teeth
It is very common for people to chip their teeth on the jewelry when then eat, sleep, talk, and chew. Tooth fractures are very serious dental problems and they require a dental filling, root canal, or even a tooth extraction to be fixed.

The tongue can easily swell once it is punctured. In some cases, it swells so much that it can block the airway and stop a person’s breathing. The only way to give the patient the oxygen he or she needs is to pass a breathing tube through their nose until the swelling reduces.

The tongue is covered in bacteria, which is why oral infections occur once the tongue is pierced. When the tongue is punctured, it introduces the bacteria to the blood. Then, there is a high chance that the bacteria and infection can transfer over to other areas of the body, like the heart, to cause further complications.

Allergic reactions
Many people are allergic to specific types of metal, so oftentimes the piercer uses a tool that irritates the tongue. This can cause an allergic reaction. Another way an allergic reaction can occur is if people wear tongue jewelry that is made of the same metal.

These piercing issues can affect your oral health and your smile more than you know, which is why Dr. Carlos A. Tamayo and our team at Carlos A. Tamayo DDS Inc. encourage you to keep the oral jewelry out of your tongue. We care for you and your oral health, and we want you to have the best health possible. If you have any questions or if you need help with any tongue-piercing problems, please call 805-483-9567 now.